Lucky for me, I had hacked off, 90’s rayon dress in my stash just waiting for an upcycle. Last fall, I overdyed it with RIT dye. I was planning to turn it into a tunic, but since that never materialized it was still waiting for it’s facelift. I decided to leave the hem rough and just split the dress up the center front. I also split the side and back seams.
Next I pulled a scrap of black flannel from my stash and make kick pleats.
For the ruffles, I had a gauze swaddling blanket that I would never use again. This piece I popped into a tea bath and forgot about for the entire day. I tore it into rough strips to crate ruffles, layered with a few yards of thrifted cluny lace I also tea dyed. Perfection!
The final result was a bit to baggy at first, so I gathered a bit at the high waist point on either side. By this time I was very late and I was tired, but it was so worth it. I wore my new piece today and felt amazing!