Maybe you have figured this out, but I’m not very good at following patterns. Usually, I have no intention of actually following the pattern and use the prefrabricated pieces as a guide for cutting and nothing more. This time, I whole heartedly planned to follow the rules of sewing and make the pattern properly.
I tried, really I did.
It all started out with this vintage Kwik Sew 626. I thrifted it several years ago (envelope in much better condition) because I wanted to make the blouse. However, when I got it home, only the skirt pieces were in the envelope. So it just sat in the drawer until now.
When I started this project, I thought I wanted a nice, plain Jane, everybody’s got them kind of skirt. The grey rayon/poly suiting in my stash seemed like just the thing. So, I got started resizing the pattern. Here is where the problem started.
Since I was resizing the pattern anyway, I decide to just go ahead and add 9 inches to the lenth. I love a long skirt.
Then I widened the waist band…heaven knows why. Because I could?
I resisted the urge to add inseam or patch pockets.
When I went to cut out my pattern, I discovered that by lenthing the skirt I no longer had enough fabric to cut it on the bias like the pattern instructed. No worries. My fabric had more than enough drape on it’s own.
After that, I was a good obedient seamstress for awhile. I was actually patting myself on the back for the minimal adjustments I had made. I even stuck to Kwik Sews rediculiously tiny 1/4 inch seam allowance!
Then it was time to try on my skirt for heming. It was so boring! I can go for the librarian look, but this was 1850’s orphanage matron. Not my vibe.
I knew I would never wear it as is, so I grabbed a lenth of black broad cloth I thrifted this past fall and set about cutting strips for ruffles. I cut a very generous ruffle. So generous, that my husband actually voiced doubts about rather I could make it fit around the hem of my skirt.
Don’t try me, babe.
After I serged the skirt hem, I applied the ruffle leaving the edges raw to fray. Even then, it wasn’t quite enough so I stitched a random button from my stash at the conjunction of each ruffle segment.
I’ve worn it 3 times in the past week, styled differently each time. Now I am planning a high-low over-skirt to add yet another option.