Failure and Success: Vintage Kwik Sew 626

Standard


Maybe you have figured this out, but I’m not very good at following patterns.  Usually, I have no intention of actually following the pattern and use the prefrabricated pieces as a guide for cutting and nothing more.  This time, I whole heartedly planned to follow the rules of sewing and make the pattern properly.  

I tried, really I did.


It all started out with this vintage Kwik Sew 626.  I thrifted it several years ago (envelope in much better condition) because I wanted to make the blouse.  However, when I got it home, only the skirt pieces were in the envelope.  So it just sat in the drawer until now.

When I started this project, I thought I wanted a nice, plain Jane, everybody’s got them kind of skirt.  The grey rayon/poly suiting in my stash seemed like just the thing.  So, I got started resizing the pattern.  Here is where the problem started.  

Since I was resizing the pattern anyway, I decide to just go ahead and add 9 inches to the lenth.  I love a long skirt.  

Then I widened the waist band…heaven knows why.  Because I could?

I resisted the urge to add inseam or patch pockets.  


When I went to cut out my pattern, I discovered that by lenthing the skirt I no longer had enough fabric to cut it on the bias like the pattern instructed.  No worries.  My fabric had more than enough drape on it’s own.  

After that, I was a good obedient seamstress for awhile.  I was actually patting myself on the back for the minimal adjustments I had made.  I even stuck to Kwik Sews rediculiously tiny 1/4 inch seam allowance!  

Then it was time to try on my skirt for heming.  It was so boring!  I can go for the librarian look, but this was 1850’s orphanage matron.  Not my vibe.  

I knew I would never wear it as is, so I grabbed a lenth of black broad cloth I thrifted this past fall and set about cutting strips for ruffles.  I cut a very generous ruffle.  So generous, that my husband actually voiced doubts about rather I could make it fit around the hem of my skirt.

Don’t try me, babe.


After I serged the skirt hem, I applied the ruffle leaving the edges raw to fray.  Even then, it wasn’t quite enough so I stitched a random button from my stash at the conjunction of each ruffle segment.  

Perfection!  

I’ve worn it 3 times in the past week, styled differently each time.  Now I am planning a high-low over-skirt to add yet another option.  

Out of Season Stitching

Standard

Right in the middle of Christmas sewing, I decided to take a break and finish up this dress from my UFO pile. Honestly, I don’t know how it got into my UFO pile in the first place. It’s cute as a button, cut from a simple pattern, and uses two great vintage fabrics. Most likely, it’s companion dress was to blame…notice only one is finished.

This dress is made from McCall’s M6015, which believe it or not, I purchased new and it is made pretty close to pattern specs.  The lined bodice in place of facings and the giant pockets are my only alterations.  Saddly, since I cut it out so long ago (**cough, cough**this past May), I have no idea what size I used and somewhere over the summer and fall most of the pattern pieces disappeared, hopefuly just to the wrong envelope.  

Since it is now winter and we have six inches of snow on the ground, this dress is being worn jumper style.  However, Dark Moon is not bothered by this in the least.  In fact when I first pulled it out of the UFO pile and tried it on her, she was quite insulted that I took it back.  Here she is wearing it almost immediately after I finished it, so that the hem hasn’t even been pressed.  

When I first decided to just go ahead and finish this dress, we were all in the middle of that nasty cold I told you all about.  It was the middle of a excruciatingly long day and I just needed something to take my mind of the misery.  That’s when I found this dress and I really thought I was looking at an afternoon’s worth of work.  Just quickly inserting the zipper, then tacking down the lining and the hem would have finished up the job.  However, inserting a zipper in a Benadryl haze is not quite as easy as it sounds… I picked the zipper out twice before I finally got a result I was happy with.  Hubby thought it was hysterical, but I was less than amused.  By that point I was over it, so I didn’t get around to the tacking for a few more days.  

It took her awhile to notice the bucket sized pockets, but once she did it was true love.  The first wear alone, they held everything from blocks, to her constant companion “Fox,” to a handful of pickles.  My husband went so far as to suggest that she could carry her baby brother in one.  

I use to make these dresses three at a time for my older daughters, but right now I am thinking one is enough.  It’s fun and adorable, but I really think I’m ready for a new go-to dress for little girls.